Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Rains came down and the Floods came up - Monday, June 21, 2010

Hello Everyone,

I'm finally getting an email off today. Let's just say I had to clean the puke off of my keyboard when I read Utah is going to the Pac10! Just kidding. We were helping a member in Lewistown with his flooded basement. More on that later though. So this week was pretty good. It's been raining like crazy here. I've enjoyed it because well I love the rain but it's getting to the point where it could stop because now it's starting to really effect people around here. A family in Havre, their basement flooded and another family who lives close to a big creek that is flowing really hard had to sand bag so their house didn't flood. All of this while we were in Zone Conference in Great Falls so we didn't get to help anyone. The Lord made sure we did help someone though and after debating whether to drive down here to Lewistown last night or this morning we decided to drive last night. Which was really good because at around 9 we got a call from a member who's basement was flooding. So we went over there and helped. They have a half basement where their master bedroom is and he said when he woke up this morning and turned on the tv he then could see a reflection of the tv in the water and looked down to a little over 2 feet of water. By the time we got there they had pumped most of it out so we just helped carry everything out of there and tear out the carpet. It was a mess and we all smell like nasty wet water but I'm glad we were able to help because it would have just been him and his older dad trying to move everything and that would have taken forever. So Lewistown has a bunch of houses flooding so I bet we'll be on flood watch for a while here while we're on team ups and potentially could get called upon to help some others out because another storm is on its way. The other day in Havre we had 3/4 of an inch of rain in 20 min. The roads quickly turned into a river. It was crazy. I had E. Child take a pic of me in the rain. haha I'll send it to you. This one lady said she hasn't seen it rain this much since the early 1980's. This wet weather is definitely not normal they say. I guess we have to take the good with the bad though because it is helping with the drought this area has been in for a while and it's helping the farmers fields(those that have planted at least) and everything is really really green! Which I've enjoyed.

So besides the rain and driving all over in it we had a pretty good week. Lots of travels which I think I mentioned last week. From last Thurs. night to this upcoming Tthurs. night we will have traveled about 600 miles. And that's just point A to point B driving not whatever else we drove or will drive in Great Falls, Havre, Chinook, Lewistown, Havre and Chinook. So I'm pretty much going to be a pro passenger by the time I get home and 2 1/2 hr trips will feel like nothing.

Well the work wasn't too bad this week. We had the lowest amount of lessons we've had in a while but that's ok because we've been traveling a lot too. We met with K this week and watched the Joseph Smith Prophet of the Restoration movie with her. She really liked it. She commented about how she never knew the Mormons were treated so bad. Her people normally just talk about all the persecution they've been through but don't look at what others have gone through too so that was interesting to see what she had to say about it.

Our district t-shirts are finished. They turned out pretty good. I'll have to send a pic of it sometime. It's royal blue with lime green and white print. It says Hi Line District and then has a pretty big state of MT outline and it says Montana and then has 4 missionaries with white shirts and ties sitting in a bathtub because Lewistown only has a bath no shower and we're the same way when we're in Havre so that's like the district joke. They look pretty good but most people won't understand them.

We made a big map this week showing all of the part member families and the bishops focus families on it. We took a big map we got from the Chamber of Commerce and then we got some foam core and put the map on it and wrote names on small slips of paper and pinned them to the map. So now when we go to work in an area we can look at our map and see who else lives in that area. I think it's going to help out the work a lot. We are also having our member missionary training fireside this upcoming Sunday in Havre. We think the members are ready to do the work they just don't quite know how yet so we are hoping to teach them a little and get the missionary spirit flame to get even bigger. Our main portion of it is talking and showing off mormon.org. It should be a pretty good fireside. We're excited.

Zone Conf. was on Friday. It was really good as always. Pres. talked about not distracting the spirit because it's so vital to our work. He had a really good object lesson with a tuning fork. When you strike it it's quiet from a distance but if you place it against the table the table vibrates and amplifies it. So we need to work with it so it can amplify through us. The assistants also had us do some good role play practices talking about the commitments and explaining the spirit to investigators. E. West who's an assistant and is what they say my Grandpa is going home this transfer. I'm a little sad to see him go home. He's a great elder and a great assistant.

So sitting here in Lewistown guess who just came in and asked if either me or E. Child was from AZ? Bro. N's sister/Lyndee's Aunt and their nephew/cousin! So I finally met the N Montana relatives! We talked for a little while and she was asking me if I knew all these different families from AZ and I did. It was funny. Lyndee's cousin texted her and told her and she said to tell me she was at BYU right now. So is she at BYU right now for school or just up there with her sister? Well I better get going. Hope everyone had a good Father's Day yesterday. I love all of you. Thanks for the emails and sports updates. Still can't believe Utah is going to the Pac10. That's one of my worst nightmares. Hopefully BYU can go to the Big 12 or something. I don't even know. I'm just glad I'm on my mission so I don't have to listen to all of the Utah fans and all of their Crap! And thanks for the World Cup updates. GO USA and Uruguay! Well enjoy your trip to San Diego. Talk to you later.

-Elder Davis

PS The tornado in Billings did some pretty good damage but no one was hurt. One set of sis missionaries got pelted with hail and their truck had a bunch of dents and the windshield broke. But other than that not too bad.

PS to Mom, I'm proud of you and all you said you're doing with the blog. It sounds like your learning things on the computer like I always have. Trial and Error.  That's cool you got to talk to Dana and that you are going to see them. That'll be fun. Where did they live in MT again?


No comments:

Post a Comment