Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday, December 6, 2010

I'm 20?

Well Everyone believe it or not I'm 20 years old. It hasn't really hit me yet either. Thanks to all who sent me birthday wishes. It was good to hear from you and I really appreciated it. Yesterday for the most part was just another day in the mission. Kind of like Thanksgiving I guess. When there's no family around it's just another day. Mom and Dad probably know this but I don't really publicize my birthday like a lot of other people do. I'm like Dad in that sense. Just give me some good food, family, a few friends, and let me watch football and I'm good. haha. Elder Askey probably wouldn't have even known until I told him I wanted to run to Safeway on Saturday to buy some stuff to make a peppermint ice cream cake. He asked why I was making that and I said ummm well you see...tomorrow's my birthday. He freaked out and said No Way I didn't know that! I had kind of created a little plan in my mind to what I wanted to happen for my birthday. I had invited ourselves over to watch the Christmas Devotional at the J's. I figured I'd make my cake and they'd want to play Uno Attack like always so then we'd eat and play and I'd get away with having a little birthday party without ever telling anyone. haha But once I had told Elder Askey he told the Js but that was good because then on Sunday morning at church they told me Happy Birthday and then after when we were asking Bishop H a question Brother J told the Bishopric and they all sang to me. It was a little embarrassing but good. haha. At about 4, after church andseeing a few people, as we drove to our next appointment I thought dang, it's my birthday today. It doesn't even feel like it. It felt a little more like my birthday though later when we ate the ice cream cake. That is good stuff! So yeah not too big of a day. Just another day in the life of a missionary. This week was pretty good. The snow that looked like it was headed our way went right around us. It's been pretty nice around here. 25-30 for the most part in the day. We were able to do some service this week. We helped a younger lady move out of her trailer, stacked some wood for a brother in the ward who's been sick, and helped a brother from the ward put a new sewer system in. He just took a big backhoe and dug a big long trench and we then just put these plastic pipe things in the ground. It was pretty easy. We also had another visit with Brother C. He's the one that was less active but has now just done a complete 180. In the four weeks we've met with him he's finished reading the whole Book of Mormon. He is just eating it up too and we were able to give him a triple this week so he can start on the Doctrine and Covenants. It's been amazing to see the change that's come over him. He said the Book of Mormon has just filled in so many questions the bible brought up. His wife wasn't there but she has even started to listen to the Book of Mormon on cd. She's going through a rough time right now. Her mother is getting close to passing away any day now. It's going to be a rough time for her but a perfect time to learn more about the gospel and the Plan of Happiness.

Some really good news I heard from Havre this week was that J's baptism was this Saturday! Also big news C who was the first investigator I met in Havre who's been up and down and up and down has a baptism date set, has been interviewed by President Gardner, and is hopefully getting baptized on this coming Saturday if she can be smoke free this past week and this week! That was really good to hear that. And another surprise J B who we'd been meeting with since just after I arrived who was never really interested until  about a month before I left Havre is getting baptized on Christmas! She too has to quite smoking but I know she can do it. She's the one who's daughter and son were baptized in AZ in February and they gave a referral for her at the Easter Pageant. So see those referrals can really work! It's so exciting to see all of this coming down in Havre. Elder Ika sent me a note trying to be sympathetic with me that all of my hard work was getting enjoyed by other missionaries but it's ok. I know that I was a big part of all of them so I don't feel bad that I can't be there. As long as they are getting baptized that's all that matters to me! Lewistown is also getting a baptism! I've seen that area go from teaching like 8 lessons a week to where it's at now. 20 lessons and a baptism. I'm happy for Elder Ika and his greeny.

Learned some interesting things about Dillon this week. I guess at times this area can be tough because a former bishop/stake pres from here was involved in some shady stuff. I've been told if you search Dillon LDS the stories will all come up so if you're interested go ahead and check it out. All I can say is there are some idiots out there who know better than their actions sometimes portray and that when you're in a high up church calling you can't think you're untouchable by Satan or he'll tempt you and bring you down if you're not careful. The sad thing to is now this area is affected by this man's actions and I feel so bad for his wife. The other sad thing is people say he doesn't seem to be too repentant. I'm not too worried though. So far it hasn't scared anyone we're working with away but who knows how much better things could be if there wasn't a bad example for people to jump all over the church for. Oh well. Ok I'm done ranting.

This week should be a busy week. We have teamups in Anaconda Wednesday and then a three zone zone conference on Thursday in Helena. Back to the land I call home for my mission. :) I'm also excited to see Elders Heywood, Wahl, Ika, Ika's new companion, and so many other good misson friends.Well I left my planner with the other stuff I wanted to say so I guess I'm done for today. Thanks again for the letters and cards this week. It meant a lot to me. I hope you all are having a great December Christmas Season so far. I love you all and I'll talk to you later.

Love,

Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment